Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Big Sister Advice

Grieve when bad things happen... but don't be surprised. No one said life was easy or perfect. It's a messy flawed world full of messy flawed people. There is going to be grief. Don't let it throw you off or make you question your faith; that's when you need it! (John 16:33)

Pursue your dreams... but hold them loosely to heaven with outstretched arms. Remember you are here to serve, and God has great plans for you. So, go in the direction you feel called, but remember to check in with Jesus and make sure you are still on the straight and narrow (Jeremiah 29:11-14).

Don't follow your heart... follow God's heart instead. The world says you can trust your heart and the ever-changing emotions that flow from it. The truth is our hearts are sinful, with flawed motives and selfishness (Jeremiah 17:9). Trust instead in God's perfect love, and your decisions will be shaped by Him (Romans 12:2).

Pursue greatness in all you do... but don't think you are too lofty to perform humble tasks. You aren't too talented/smart/rich/well-dressed to work a dead-end job if need be, or scrub some toilets. (James 4:10).

Look to ideals for inspiration... but don't make the mistake of idolizing them. You'd like to dress more like that cute girl who is so well-dressed, or you'd love your life to be as romantic as a Jane Austin book. These are ok ideals, but if they become your world, you'll be discontent with what you have now. (1 Cor. 6:2)

Chase after goals... but know they won't come quickly or without sacrifice. This isn't an 80's movie montage. Your life's ambitions aren't going to come the year after you graduate. But that's okay; they wouldn't be worthy goals if you could accomplish them quickly. (Proverbs 21:5)

Look forward expectantly to the future... but don't miss out on today. You dream of affording a  nicer car, a cool apartment, a better job, getting married, having a baby, etc. All that is good, but enjoy the season you are in today. Each season in life is precious. (Psalm 118:24)





1 comment:

  1. Hey just thought I'd drop by your blog and show some love. Thanks again for sharing your personal struggles, growth, knowledge, and insight with others. I can tell you after fully reading and digesting this latest blog entry (as well as taking sometime to really ponder the selected verses), I know that God had a plan for you to write/share this, and a plan for me to see your post and read it. This is what never ceases to amaze me about the Holy Spirit speaking through people, and to people, who need to say what they say when they need to say it and for others to hear those things when they are meant to. I can attest to identifying with the struggles and desires you have posted about in this entry. I have been praying about my career, marriage, financial, personal, and spiritual goals a lot lately. It is tough when you find yourself among the static and noise of your mind missing out on the answers to prayer or the lesson being presented. I wish I would have realized you were so wise in your faith back in high school I really lacked direction then and was far from my relationship with God at times. Oh well it is fitting we are both young married folk searching for direction in this post-teen and pre "rest of our lives looming" adulthood. I am exploring some of my past pains and dealing with working through my sins and healing errors of my judgement. I feel so worthy and loved by God whereas in the past I felt guilt and judgement all of the time. My pastor told me I was trying to condemn myself and that was not for me to decide. That I needed to let faith take over and realize that when I was saved and baptized (especially when I recommitted myself to Christ at 23 and was baptized and prayed for salvation with mature understanding and desire for Gods love) that God loves me despite my sins past, present, future and will forgive me with prayer and repentance. I spent/spend so much time convincing myself I cannot be forgiven, loved, or worthy of happiness. Now I do not feel that way. I know God has a plan for me as a husband, father, as his child, as an artist, a professional ect... I need to hear the things you and others share about inspiration/biblical wisdom and insight from time to time to keep me from stressing. I really enjoyed the verses you shared about not following your own heart but God's and also about Christ overcoming the world. I need to make sure my compass is pure and is truly what I am called toward and not just what I want it to be. Lately I have been drawing a lot of inspiration from music and I know you love to sing. Last thing I want to share is a band you should check out. Thrice is a Christian focused band the lead singer Dustin Kensrue is an amazingly real Christian who has struggled with many things. You need to listen to words in the water and listen through me from the album major minor. Check out silver wings from alchemy index vol 3-4 air & earth, and lastly the whole album vheissu especially the song like moths to flame. Also check out Dustin Kensrue's solo album please come home. The song pistol is about my wife and how she saved me. I will be praying for you and yours and I hope this blog will grow as a vehicle to witness as I hope mine will someday do the same as well.

    ReplyDelete